Archived — Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI) Repayment Status Report
November 1, 2012
The Industrial Technologies Office (ITO) publishes a semi-annual status report to enhance transparency of the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI), which provides repayable contributions for innovative research and development (R&D) projects in the Canadian aerospace, defence, space and security industries.
SADI projects are long-term (normally up to five years of R&D followed by 15 years of repayments) commencing with an R&D phase, followed by a repayment phase - the period in which a product, or a technology, could generate revenue for the company. Repayments flow back annually to the program according to the terms and conditions of the company's contribution agreement.
SADI Program Highlights:
- Total number of active projects: 23
- Active projects in the R&D phase (repayments are not yet due): 21
- Active projects in the repayment phase: 2
- Total authorized assistance for all projects: $826 million
- Total disbursements to date: $411 million
- Total cumulative repayments collected to date: $6.2 million
Please refer to the Explanatory Notes at the end of the following table for more information.
|Net Expenditures ($)||Repayments ($)|
|A: indicates that repayments are not yet due on the company's project(s).|
|25-Oct-2010||ASCO Aerospace Canada Ltd.||7,688,288||A|
|05-Aug-2009||Axys Technologies Inc.||1,836,900||A|
|08-Oct-2009||BelAir Networks Inc.||9,690,706||3,713,325||6,126,986|
|13-Jan-2009||CMC Electronics Inc.||52,287,784||A|
|25-Aug-2010||D-Ta Systems Inc.||1,790,140||A|
|10-Jan-2008||Diamond D-Jet Corporation(DDJ)||19,600,000||A|
|03-Mar-2009||EMS Technologies Canada, Ltd.||8,718,634||A|
|22-Feb-2011||FLYHT Aerospace Solutions Ltd.||1,967,507||A|
|24-Mar-2010||GMA Cover, ULC||8,646,000||A|
|02-Sep-2008||Héroux Devtek Inc.||26,964,430||A|
|27-Aug-2008||Integran Technologies Inc.||4,596,000||A|
|24-Mar-2010||Integran Technologies Inc.||276,284||276,284||A|
|24-Mar-2010||Integran Technologies Inc.||807,399||A|
|15-Mar-2012||Integran Technologies Inc.||399,386||A|
|23-Feb-2010||Kongsberg Mesotech Ltd.||4,968,000||A|
|01-Sep-2008||Magellan Aerospace Limited||43,391,600||A|
|26-Jul-2010||Mechtronix Systems Inc. (MSI)||18,570,000||A|
|05-Sep-2008||Norsat International Inc.||5,975,200||A|
|12-Aug-2009||PCI Geomatics Enterprises Incorporated||7,665,000||A|
|10-Dec-2010||Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp.||300,000,000||A|
|27-Mar-2009||SkyWave Mobile Communications Inc.||3,127,200||3,127,200||A|
|23-Dec-2010||Thales Canada Inc.||12,988,800||A|
|22-Mar-2011||Ultra Electronics TCS Inc.||32,447,400||A|
- Contribution Date: is the date that a company signed its contribution agreement. If a company has more than one project, the date indicated is the earliest contribution agreement signing date.
- Company: is the name of the legal entity which currently has one or more SADI contribution agreements.
- Authorized Assistance: represents the maximum amount contracted at the time of the initial contribution agreement. As the R&D progresses and a project reaches its conclusion the final disbursed amount could be much lower.
- Net Expenditures: represents the total amounts disbursed toward projects that have completed their R&D phase, net of any recoveries. Amounts are not provided until completion of the R&D phase to protect commercial confidentiality.
- Repayments: The SADI program provides repayable contributions as opposed to grants or loans. Repayments are based on the recipient's gross business revenue and usually begin one year after the completion of the SADI project's R&D phase. Repayment periods are normally 15 years after the completion of the project.
- Date modified: